Why do these stupid cell phone companies think that old people are stupid and need the simplest of phones?

Q. I'm just so sick of some of these crappy cell phone companies that market these insanely simple and actually kind of insultingly bland cellular phones to senior citizens. Jitterbug is one of these companies. I know plenty of senior citizens that have new-age phones. One of my friends is 67 and he has a blackberry storm, for example. Just because you're old doesn't mean you're dumb or ignorant.

Who agrees with this?

A. It's not a matter of stupidity. Sometimes it's just the desire for simplicity. Some of us just use our cell phones for making and receiving short phone calls. We still use cameras for taking photographs, land lines for lengthy conversations, leave oral messages on answering machines, etc.- you get the picture.

How to block my number on cell phone?
Q. On a land line phone you dial *67 to block your number to not show up on caller ID. Is there a certain code to dial on your cell phone to not show your phone number? Does it matter who your wireless carrier is? If so mine is Sprint. Thank you!

A. you still use *67 on cell phones too

What is the difference between a restricted call and an unavailable call on my cell phone?
Q. I keep getting unavailable calls on my cell phone, but everytime I answer the caller hangs up. If I push *67 and cal my phone it comes up as restricted, so can you make a call unavailable?? I'm just wondering because I have a crazy ex that is borderline stalking me....is there a way to figure out if its him?? Thanks everyone!!

A. You may need to call your provider and ask, but to the best of my knowledge:

Restricted
-When someone has actively and intentionally "blocked" their number from you. This can happen if someone is calling from inside a protected telephone network (some government agencies restrict their numbers so people can't call them back arbitrarily or give out their various numbers.) This is also what happens when you *67 or have the phone company "block" your number from appearing on caller ID.

Unavailable
- When the caller is placing the call from somewhere that your phone company can't obtain the number. This can happen (depending on your network) for overseas calls, calls placed with a calling card, or some calls that are routed through switchboard systems (hospitals, university dorms, etc).

If it's a matter of personal safety you should be able to call your phone company and ask them to get the number, or to tell them to disallow "restricted" or "unavailable" calls, or see if they can track either kind of call when it comes in in the future.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Comments