Does Meteorite Give off Radiation?

Q. Ok, I want a meteorite and my dad says it gives off radiation. I found one I like on Ebay for like $12 I told my dad I'd pay for most of it, but like I said, my dad says it gives off radiation and I'd have cancer.
Now does it really give off radiation?
Fast answers please! Thanks!
He meant the kind that can cause cancer... Lol.

A. If you count for electromagnetic radiation, it does and so do all of us; infrared is a part of the electromagnetic radiation spectrum and it's emitted by any body above absolute zero (about -273 Celsius or -451 Fahrenheit). When you go to the doctor and take an X-ray or CAT scan, you're exposing yourself to radiation (X-rays). When you talk on the cell phone you're exposing yourself to radiation (radio). When you warm your food in the microwave oven you're exposing it to radiation (microwave). When you bathe in the sunlight in the summer you're exposing yourself to radiation (ultraviolet). Of all of these, the potentially ionizing sources are those of ultraviolet and X-rays; notice that radio (such as cell phones or car radios) is a non-ionizing source because each photon has too little energy to yank out an electron from an atom. If your head aches from talking on the phone, then you shouldn't be spending hours with your ear next to a loud box, put it on loudspeak instead and move your ear away from the loudness.

If you count for nuclear radiation, it does and so do all of us. Your dad is emitting radiation right now, and so are you; a tiny amount of your atoms change from Carbon-14 to Carbon-12 which is stabler. Also the food you eat has tiny amount of radiations. The difference is that the amount is so tiny that it produces no discernible biological effects. When you go to the doctor and do a PET scan, you're exposing yourself to radiation (gamma rays from the decay of the Sodium-23 isotopes back into the stabler Sodium-22 isotopes). When you do a NMR it makes you produce radiation (radio waves from the relaxation of the hydrogen atoms in your body).

You can go to Wikipedia and read up on all of the above, particularly the medical imaging techniques. So the concern with radiation coming from a meteorite is silly. The misunderstanding about what radiations are and what doses are actually bad is something to regret, but fortunately there's enough in books and the Internet to quell all but the most hard-core people who have made up their mind about it. You shouldn't be too concerned about a body which has had billion of years in space to shed off any radiation that it might have been exposed to.

Here, show this to your dad. Even a banana emits radiation. http://xkcd.com/radiation/ Please note this chart only talks about radiation from nuclear decays, not electromagnetic radiation. Each color in the chart corresponds to a dose 1000 times greater than the previous.

What should I get my nerdy boyfriend for his birthday/ our approx. one year anniversary?
Q. We're both into Firefly/Serenity, xkcd, Minecraft, Doctor Who, and Buffy.
I have no idea what size he is so shirts/ clothes are out of the question, and I don't know anything about any of the games he plays so I don't know what he'd like and what would just look like I didn't know what I was talking about. (I do know he plays LoL?)
So far I'm looking at a Firefly keychain from thinkgeek.com but that's my only idea, his birthday is in exactly a month, help me!

A. Haha sounds a bit like my boyfriend. A picture of you in a nice frame, doctor who season on dvd, make him a creeper(minecraft) pinyata xD if he has a huge sweet tooth then food is never a wrong answer :3 I bought my bf a huge gummy bear on a stick. A huge bag of his favorite candy. If you could figure out his shirt size, then hottopic.com sells minecraft tshirts. Bake him a cake/cupcakes. Think about something he needs. Like I'm soon getting my bf a carcharger for his cell phone. An itunes card? Write him a sweet letter. Etc




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Comments